Updated: September 26, 2014, 7:32 PM ET


By
Chris Forsberg
| ESPNBoston.com


Boston Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo had surgery to repair a broken left hand and will miss the start of the regular season, the team announced Friday night.

The Celtics said Rondo underwent a surgical fixation of a left metacarpal fracture on Friday morning at New England Baptist Hospital after injuring himself in a fall at his home Thursday evening. A source told ESPN’s Jeff Goodman that Rondo told the team he slipped in the shower.

Rondo is expected to miss six to eight weeks, leaving the Celtics without their starting point guard for the start of the season. First-round pick Marcus Smart and Phil Pressey, who started 11 games as a rookie last season, are the top backup ball-handlers currently on Boston’s roster.

The injury is the latest headline surrounding Boston’s captain.

On Tuesday, Celtics decision-makers, including owner Wyc Grousbeck, made clear again that they desire to keep Rondo long term. Grousbeck raised some eyebrows earlier in the week when he told a television station that Rondo is “super stubborn” and questioned how coachable the All-Star point guard is.

“It’s my goal to keep Rondo here,” Grousbeck said. “I think we all want that. And I actually honestly think — he should speak for himself — I think Rajon wants to stay, or would be very happy to stay. And we’ll see how this season goes, and how the negotiations go, but he’s proud to be a Celtic. I know that. He’s proud to wear that [2008 title] ring and he deserved it.”

Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge was downright exasperated when asked yet again this week about Rondo’s future in Boston.

“Are you seriously …read more