Doctors warn of increase in marijuana-laced products – WFSB
ENFIELD, CT (WFSB) –
Enfield police said there is a possibility that more than one student will face charges after a 16-year-old student was sent to the hospital this week.
That student said she was given a lollipop at lunch time in the school cafeteria and did not know it contained marijuana.
The student who allegedly handed out those lollipops has been questioned by police and told them she got the pops from California.
In states such as California, where medical marijuana has been in place for a while, and Colorado, where it’s legal for recreation, doctors said they have already seen cases like this one.
Hartford Hospital Director of Toxicology Dr. Mark Neavyn said everyone should learn from those states and keep an eye out for the products laced with marijuana.
“It’s definitely a concern, and adults as well as children need to watch out for these new forms of edible marijuana products,” Neavyn said.
The 16-year-old student from Enfield High School was taken to the hospital earlier this week after she called her mom and said she felt sick after eating a lollipop at lunch.
Allegedly. she was hallucinating and thinking people were talking to her when they weren’t.
“It scared me as a parent. You never want to see your child like that,” said Eva Reyes-Portis, the student’s mother.
Eyewitness News spoke exclusively with Reyes-Portis on Tuesday, and she said her daughter did not know there was marijuana in the lollipop that she ate, but the toxicology report from Connecticut Children’s Medical Center pointed to cannabis.
“It’s a little bit more unpredictable in how it gets absorbed. The concentration is generally higher in the edible marijuana products and usually, say in a chocolate bar, you might have 10 doses of marijuana,” Neavyn said.
Some common side effects are hallucinations, and under extreme circumstances, episodes of psychosis.
Neavyn …read more